Hyperpolarization Update #5 (the creation of frankencoil)

This tangle of copper tubing haphazardly patched together is Frankencoil.

A quick recap: I’m troubleshooting a setup to do hyperpolarization (a technique that allows us to take much faster measurements of samples using NMR). Our technique for performing hyperpolarization involves transferring nuclear spins from parahydrogen to our sample. Parahydrogen is a spin state of hydrogen that you make at low temperatures. Regular hydrogen will show […]

Hyperpolarization Update #4 (Trying to make Parahydrogen)

These are the promising initial measurements that I took. Black is the control measurements of regular hydrogen, red is the samples that I was trying to enrich, and green is 2/3 of the black measurements to give a rough baseline for how much reduction in signal I should be seeing.

So the stars aligned and everything that needed to happen for me to start testing parahydrogen production finally happened! (Are we making parahydrogen? Stay tuned to find out!) A quick recap: I’m troubleshooting a setup to do hyperpolarization (a technique that allows us to take much faster measurements of samples using NMR). Our technique for […]

Hyperpolarization Update #2

Magnetic field strength vs. position on the axis of the solenoid. The solid black lines denote the ends of the solenoid and the dotted black lines are where I was taking measurements.

This past week has been fairly slow since I was waiting for parts necessary for the portable parahydrogen setup to arrive (see last post for background information). I spent most of the week reading papers and working on other projects, however, I did made some progress troubleshooting the solenoid used in the parahydrogen setup. In […]