Update 6: pH Problems and a New Project

Last week, I ran into problems when using my third catalyst and chromophore combination. Over the weekend I learned that the chromophore I was using works best at pH = 7. The solution of sacrificial electron donor that I use is pH = 7, but I have been diluting it with deionized water. The pH […]

Update 5: Putting the Error in Trial and Error

Last week I performed concentration studies with a sacrificial electron donor (SEC) in hopes of establishing a photocatalytic system that produces hydrogen gas. Unfortunately, these experiments were unsuccessful and produced no hydrogen. This may be a result of incompatibility between the catalyst and chromophore used and the sacrificial donor. Luckily, there are many other catalyst/chromophore combinations available to experiment […]

MFC Update #4, Harvesting & Biofilms!

As I discussed in my last update, getting the algae to latch onto my electrode has been a big hurdle. Luckily, instead of 3d printing a filter apparatus, I was able to get a good amount of algae onto the carbon cloth simply through thinning the culture. This freed up space in the dense culture […]