Analyzing Last Interview (Update 5)

I was able to complete three interviews in the past two months, which I find satisfactory for this pilot research project. That being said, the third interview I analyzed was the last. Soon, I’ll start trying to compile the themes I found in all three interviews into one cohesive analysis. But for now, I’ll discuss the analysis from my third and final interview. I used a similar formula for this interview as the other three; I used first experiences, medical authority, medicalization, sex-ed, and miscellaneous as jumping off points. This participant actually had quite a few experiences with both traditional and alternative medicine due to the fact that she had a chronic illness. As such, there were a lot of instances of medicalization and medical authority. Although, this participant was very critical and weary of doctors in both traditional and naturopathic settings. She’s had many negative experiences and, therefore, didn’t subscribe to medical exceptionalism to the same extent as the other participants. For this reason, I think she will serve as a good source of comparison among cases. But because this participant has had different experiences, she didn’t fit well as well into the many of the themes I had set out to apply. This being the case, the miscellaneous category ended up serving as sort of a catch-all for many unrelated sentiments.

One thing that became apparent was the importance of in-depth sex and health education paired with a reliable and personal (i.e. one-on-one) source of information. These two things combined appear to be the best way to guarantee a smooth transition into dating, sex, and sexuality. Also, this participant had experience quite a lot of pharmaceuticalization throughout the process of trying to treat and manage her chronic illness. At one point, she stated that she was taking upwards of 40 pills and supplements a day. Clearly, this is an extreme case but I think it will be able to offer insight into how doctors are attempting to treat less “easy” diseases. This may also help to understand how illness (versus disease) is socially constructed. While these topics are slightly unrelated to those in the other interviews, I believe they offer an often under-explored perspective. Of course, I will attempt to re-connect all of this to my original interest of gynecological care but I’m unsure of how that will look from where I’m at now.

*