Beginning the Analysis Stage (Update 3)

To date I have completed three interviews and finished transcribing each of them. The transcription process took quite awhile, which I expected but was still a challenge nonetheless! At this point, I have begun analyzing the data. To do so I have printed out the transcriptions and combed through each one highlighting and annotating along the way. I tried to set up some rough themes beforehand to help structure the analysis. I based these themes off of the literature review I completed before the interviews. These themes were first experiences (timing, knowledge going in, feelings before and after, parent involvement), medical authority (consent, desexualization, pastoral power), medicalization (gendered behavior, sexual pain, body as a locus of power, essentialization), sex education (empowerment, shame, autonomy), and a miscellaneous category. I was not sure what else would pop out to me while I was reading through, so I wanted to leave myself room for that. Eventually, I started to pick up on a separate theme related to access and socio-economic status. All of my participants either directly or indirectly mentioned encountering barriers to care – this typically had something to do with insurance problems. I’m not sure how directly this relates to the other topics my participants discussed, but it was prevalent enough that I couldn’t ignore it. I still have a lot of analysis to do, but everything is starting to come together which is really exciting.

Also, some professors I’ve talked to have recommended a few more readings that may be relevant to my research. These are Jennifer Reich’s “Neoliberal Parenting and Vaccine Refusal” and her “Neoliberal Parenting, Future Sexual Citizens, and Vaccines Against Sexual Risk.” Nancy Mairs’ “Sex and the Gimpy Girl” was also recommended to me. I plan to read through these pretty soon. Hopefully they’ll offer some new perspectives and give me ideas about what other directions I can take my analysis.

*