Hyperpolarization Summary

This summer I set out to get a previously existing parahydrogen hyperpolarization setup to work on a single-sided magnet (see previous posts for a more in-depth explanation of what those words mean). The biggest obstacle to achieving my goal was the production of parahydrogen. Our catalyst setup at the start was not functioning, but after some experimentation I rigged together a coil that was able to hydrogen gas that was suitable enriched with parahydrogen to do hyperpolarization experiments. I also identified an issue with a magnetic field that had to be tuned fairly accurately to get results. I was able to verify that the entire setup works by performing basic hyperpolarization experiments both on a traditional NMR magnet (which has been previously demonstrated) as well as on a single-sided NMR magnet (which has never been done before).

Moving forward, I am trying to get ultrafast pulse sequences to work in conjunction with hyperpolarized pyridine. This will allow the measurement of both diffusion and relaxation in a single scan, drastically reducing experimentation time. Once this is working I will apply this new experimental method to a real-life problem (I haven’t quite found one yet but both porosity and protein kinetics seem to be promising) which my technique is able to uniquely observe.

I am very grateful both to Professor Meldrum and the donors who made my research this summer possible. I had a lot of fun and was able to make a lot of progress on my project.

Speak Your Mind

*