Conclusion: EU Membership Moving Forward

Hi everyone! Thanks for sticking with me throughout this summer journey. I’m excited today to write a very brief conclusion from my seven week of research.

If you’ve been following me throughout the past three months, you know that I’ve spent time investigating the relationship between European countries’ domestic conditions and their degrees of support for EU membership. This has been an insightful experience, and I’ve gained a greater understanding of how perceptions of the European Union are fundamentally shaped by conditions entirely outside of the EU’s control. Historical lineage, cultural roots, and macroeconomic measures are all important factors in analyzing the intersection between Europeanism and voter engagement, and for the seven Southeastern European countries currently vying to enter the EU, examining their relationships to these variables is key.

For further research, I would be very interested in conducting more rigorous analysis at a municipality-by-municipality level. While looking at European countries as one cohesive unit was more manageable for a seven week endeavor, I would be fascinated to examine how divisions on EU membership emerge within European countries, as well as between them.

I am very grateful to the Charles Center for allowing me to pursue this research, and am happy I was able to, in some very small way, contribute to greater academic research on the EU.