Five Weeks Done!

The last five weeks of my project have been extremely challenging and educational. I have been learning how to model neurons using the Hodgkin-Huxley model, a popular model in computational neuroscience. In this model, we track the movement of various ions through the neuron cell membrane and the resulting effect on membrane voltage using using ordinary differential equations. By assigning four differential equations to each neuron being modeled, we can recreate the way that action potentials are initiated and propagated. I am working on coding the Hodgkin-Huxley model in MATLAB. This is a fascinating subject, but it is complex, and it is very new for me. Therefore it has been a somewhat slow process for me to figure out the best way to code the network of neurons that we are looking to model. However, I have finally come close to a working model, and soon will be able to move to the next step, which will involve manipulating various parameters to be able to replicate conditions in the locus coeruleus of infant rats.

*