Update 2: Wound Healing in Neural Cells

In the weeks since my last post, I have encountered some issues in the lab as well as some exciting successes. I performed another in situ hybridization with my hdac7 gene along with another gene, psme3. The probe I made for hdac7 worked well and I was able to see a definite signal in the embryos that shows me where hdac7 is being expressed. After learning how to image embryos using a microscope, I was able to capture some good photos that could potentially be used in a published paper down the line. I was very excited by the success of my hdac7 probe; however, the probe I made for psme3 was at a low concentration and did not show any signal in the in situ hybridization. I am currently in the process of re-doing the probe synthesis process for psme3 so I can perform another hybridization reaction to determine where psme3 is expressed as well. In addition, I am working on cloning another gene, complement component 9 (c9) that was part of the list of differently expressed genes in healing embryos. By the end of the summer, I hope to have successful in situ hybridizations and images for all three of these genes so I can continue to explore their role in wound healing during the school year. In addition, I have started learning how to ablate embryos, which involves carefully cutting a small square out of the outer tissue layer without disturbing the inner mesoderm. This technique is very difficult, so I will need to keep practicing in order to perform successful ablations of my own to use in further wound healing research. All in all, I am enjoying the research process despite the setbacks I have encountered, and I am looking forward to learning new techniques and exploring new genes for the rest of the summer.

1. Hi! My name is Kelsie and this research is extremely fascinating! This specific research is of particular importance to me because of my previous research and my (hopeful) future career. When I was in high school I volunteered in a lab at UPenn and we were researching proteins that could have an effect on the development of Alzheimer’s disease. As you surely know there is no cure for it as of now, but your research focusing on wound healing and its applications further down the line combined with future research in my previous lab will hopefully soon prove to be fruitful! Neural wound healing is also important to my possible future career because I am interested in concussions and sports medicine and any research to further our understanding of concussions and the best ways to treat them will be extremely helpful. While I’m not familiar with the probes and genes in your research, I’m looking forward to reading your future posts and seeing your poster in the fall!

*