Abstract: Original EP

My project is rather straightforward: I will be creating an EP of 5-7 original songs. This process begins with the writing and arranging of original music, and culminates in the recording and production of each song. The end product will be an EP released on Spotify and via CD. The songs themselves are primarily centered around guitar and voice, although there are also elements of viola, cello, piano, flute, and percussion used throughout the pieces.  A unique aspect of my project is that, due to the need to bring in student musicians for recording purposes, I have already been working on the recording process throughout this semester. The songs themselves are completely written and arranged, and the recording process is nearly finished. I aim to use the summer to produce the songs, with the hope that the final product is of extremely high quality. The album will be released by the end of the summer, and will be accompanied with an as-yet-undecided album name and artwork. I hope to use my blog primarily to share versions of the songs as they are worked on, with accompanying insight into the nature of the process.

Attached is a midi file for one of my compositions, a piece titled “Man With My Name”. Please note that this file is not a recording, and that the vocal melody is represented by a piano for ease of arrangement. The recorded version, with actual instruments and vocals, will be significantly better. Please enjoy!

MWMN Final

1. michaelsparrow says:

Hey Theo, I can’t wait to hear all these songs when they’re finished! I’ve been working on a music composition project this summer as well – I didn’t have time unfortunately both to compose it and to arrange for a performance of it, but I hope that ultimately I will be able to conduct and publish my piece. I can imagine it must be immensely satisfying to be completely finished with an original work! I’m especially happy to see you incorporating instruments that you don’t yourself play in your songs; getting that familiarity with a broad range of instruments will serve you well if you pursue a future as a professional musician. I’ve been in contact with several professional composers this summer, and one of them recommended a book to me called “Essential Dictionary of Orchestration” by Dave Black and Tom Gerou – if you ever want to feature a wider range of instruments in your works, it’s a very good guide that includes pretty much all the basic properties of the instruments (range, registers, technical considerations) that a composer will need to know. Best of luck with this and future projects!

*