Abstract: How to Health Care: A Comparative Analysis of the United States and Denmark

This semester, I am studying public health policy in Copenhagen, Denmark. Denmark is renowned for the universal healthcare granted to its citizens through the welfare state system. The universal healthcare  system insures every individual in the state. It also reduces costs associated with the inability of lower-income and/or uninsured people to pay for medical services. Under the current administration in the U.S., there has been a lot of discussion regarding the advantages and disadvantages of private and public insurance plans, as well as the Affordable Care Act. I will compare how the values of both societies influence the respective methods of distributing health insurance. I will then draw a conclusion about possible health care reforms for the United States by taking into consideration a variety of factors, including the nature of the economy, political climate, and societal values. The resulting product will be a paper summarizing my findings. I look forward to sharing the progress of my research throughout the summer with you, and also learning about my peers’ projects!

*