Analyzing Landmark Criminal Justice Cases within the Warren Court

For my Upperclassman Monroe research project, I will have to look into specific cases that the Warren Court reviewed having to do with criminal justice in order to compile a complete list of resources from which I can pull my date from.

I will have to establish what cases constitute as dealing with criminal justice cases and not other forms such as 4th Amendment, 5th Amendment, or other types of cases.

Furthermore, in order to complete a final proposal I will have to start consulting popular law journals in order to see what the popular stances on the topic are and what other legal scholars have said and are currently saying in regards to the Warren Court’s stances on important issues and the precedents they have set.

Professor Sasser was my professor this semester in Civil Rights/Civil Liberties. In the course we evaluated a variety of Supreme Court cases, analyzing precedent as well as patterns between time eras. Professor Sasser has intricate knowledge on the Court and in particular has spent much time analyzing the Warren Court and its decisions. Professor Sasser has also taught classes regarding criminal justice and thus has extensive background knowledge of the subject matter as well.

The Warren Court Era of the United States Supreme Court was when Earl Warren was made the Chief Justice of the Court and it lasted from 1953 to 1969. This time period in U.S. Supreme Court history was marked with a number of landmark decisions that would dramatically shift American society. Most scholars hail the Warren Court as the apex of liberal progressivism, citing the dramatic decisions that were handed down in a very activist manner as being unprecedented and unmatched to this day. However, there are those that point out that the Warren Court had the opportunity to progress much further than it actually did and is not the liberal ideal that many claim it to be.

In particular, the Warren Court had a significant focus on criminal justice reform and altered the way in which we interpret legal precedents. In my research, I hope to analyze the criminal justice cases that were decided by the Warren Court in order to understand the overall philosophy of the Court when it came to dealing with Criminal Justice issues. Additionally, I am looking to see if there exist any patterns and overall trends in the way the Court handed down various decisions and whether those decisions were affected by external factors outside the legal doctrinal issues at hand. Furthermore, I hope to see whether or not the Warren Court’s decisions form a succinct pattern in their political ideologies and rationales or if the decisions are truly based on each specific case’s facts and not based on political leanings at all.

*