Final Summary

This project lead me to some conclusions I was expecting and others I was not. For example, I had predicted that there would be a tension between students and administrators regarding their thoughts on sexual assault resources. I did not believe they would line up exactly, and that students would be more negative towards their schools’ administration. However, I did not expect other conclusions, such as the lack of transparency and poor communication channels leading to a breakdown in information transmission. Because of that breakdown, I saw a lot of student misinformation, which was one significant factor in a student’s opinion of what the administrators were doing. From these observations, it seems that the first step would be to clear up all channels of communication between student advocates for survivors of sexual assault and the appropriate administrators who work closely on the issue. In order to do so, both groups must be more receptive of the others’ messages and must send out more of their own messages; otherwise, people will end up having completely different levels of information on any given subject or issue that arises in the community. I wrote this paper for both student advocates and administrators so that each side can read the thoughts of the others and understand where they can improve their own work to make the after-trauma experience better for all survivors of sexual assault.

*