Final Update Portland

I returned from Portland, OR about a week and a half ago and I have been at work on my final paper. I got to meet a lot of people in the Metal community and even see a few shows. Reflecting on my experience traveling and conducting interviews, I sometimes chuckle at how I am comparing Heavy Metal and Irish Traditional Music.

Nonetheless, I am greatly appreciative of all the musicians and fans who were willing to talk to an outsider conducting research on their cherished community. Despite being complete opposites, the people I met were always friendly and happy to share their experiences and perceptions with me.

Regarding my research on Heavy Metal, I would like to comment that it does seem to be a hyper-masculine environment (Who would have guessed?). However, traits of masculinity and femininity can be present in anyone no matter how they wish to be identified. I guess the point I am trying to make is that I have been absolutely blessed with the opportunity to conduct this research and meet so many different people. I will be posting my final summary tomorrow so consider this my final informal post.

1. Hey, I’m from Portland!

What made you decide to go do research there as opposed to somewhere else?

– Alec