Writing a Draft

I just finished a rough draft of my paper. After going back through the codes from all of my interviews, I realized that the biggest trend I saw was that students and administrators were actually on a very similar page when it came to their thoughts on the available resources on their campus and their goals for the future. However, I saw tension coming in where the two groups did not communicate very efficiently or effectively. The breakdown in communication also seemed to cause a lot of misinformation and even resulted in people being completely uninformed on certain issues.

Writing this draft was unlike any other research paper I have ever written. First, because the words flowed so easily and quickly because of my extreme interest in and connection to the subject. Because I was so involved personally in the research, the writing came much easier. Second, of course, this paper was much longer than most anything I’ve written, and I think that again came mostly from how easily ideas and connections came to my mind. It was a little difficult trying to decide on my audience for the paper, though, because I wanted it to be academic but also accessible to both students and administrators, since the conclusions pertained to those groups.

1. rmmerrimangold says:

Hey Emily! Reading your blog posts, a lot of your observations resonated with my own experiences with sexual assault-related advocacy work on our campus.

I found myself wondering whether you noticed any differences in the perspectives of students doing survivor support work and those interacting more directly with administrators through efforts to change schools’ sexual assault policies (if you interviewed students in those different roles). Also, were you ever able to get in touch with an administrator at that resistant school?