Art Activism Update #1

Hello!

As I continue to progress in my research, I have found that the focus of my project has narrowed down on one art activist movement – the feminist movement in the 20th and 21st centuries. Originally, I had planned to look at the feminist movement, the Civil Rights movement, and the anti-Vietnam War era movement in the 1950s through the 1970s. However, as I delved deeper into the source material, I decided it was confusing to compare and contrast the art activism of these different movements, and looking at these artworks in a single period of time did not show the progression and resulting significance of the art activism. I pivoted instead to the feminist movement, which has a significant and rich history of art activism. So, instead of tracking different movements in separate periods of time, I am now tracking one movement in three different periods. I think this will make for a much more coherent final output, while still maintaining the original spirit and intent of my proposal. My new structure will examine the roots of modern feminist art activism in the early to mid 20th century, explore the awakening of feminist art in the mid to late 20th century, and analyze the explosion of feminist art in the mainstream in the 21st century. I think this will be a very interesting exploration into feminist art activism and I am personally very excited about this new turn. I’ll check back in next week with a more detailed update about my work. Thanks for reading!

*