Presenting the Research

The final stage of this project was creating a visual for the research symposium, so that I’m not just standing next to a table with a research paper on it. I opted for a powerpoint (to be displayed on my laptop) instead of a posterboard, because it allows me to fit more information in more flexible formats. For example, one of my slides has a couple of audio clips, to illustrate the differences between individual singers unique voices.

What I didn’t anticipate was the challenge of (over)simplifying the conclusions of my paper to fit into one-sentence-per-bullet-point powerpoint format. Let’s just say there’s a reason journal articles often have titles that seem like a run-on sentence—they’re trying to adequately describe the idea they researched in a way that’s not oversimplified or misleading. Hence, it’s not really possible to summarize several pages worth of research paper into one bullet point. Obviously, I’m relying on the fact that I will be standing next to the powerpoint to explain it and give details and nuance. Even so, the powerpoint is just meant to be a brief overview, so hopefully any interested parties will read the actual paper!

With the conclusion of this blog post, I am officially finished with my research project. I found the process very enjoyable for the most part, and I am proud of the final product. Thanks for coming along for the ride, and if you care to learn more about divas, catch me at the Charles Center research symposium in the fall!

Speak Your Mind

*