Women in STEM: Post #3

I have finished compiling the data gathered from my 38 interviews, which amounts to the analysis of roughly 24 hours worth of recorded notes. Trends are emerging, and I can now begin to wrap up this project and finish my final paper. One issue I encountered in transcribing my interview recordings was that the nature of my questions allowed for very open-ended answers. Had I asked more yes or no questions, the coding would have been a much simpler process. That being said, I am satisfied with the depth and dimensions of the information gathered, and will have extra anecdotes and ideas to supplement the raw data collected. I have included here some of the charts and graphs created to represent the information that will make up the bulk of the paper, and will return with a summary post in two weeks when the paper is complete.

P.S. I apologize for the quality of the graphs, this was the only way I was able to upload them. This probably says something about my technical and problem-solving abilities, but at this point in the project I’m choosing to accept that. They will look much better in the paper.

Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 1.42.19 PM Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 1.40.59 PM Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 1.43.27 PM

1. Hi Shannon,
    First off- I’m incredibly impressed with your number of interviews. I had much fewer than that and had nowhere near 24 hours worth of recorded notes, but transcription was still my least favorite part of research. I’m looking forward to learning more about your project, especially how some of your interviewees felt their gender acted as both a positive and negative factor in their professional career.

2. helliotthiggins says:

Hi Shannon!

I can’t believe you did 38 interviews that is amazing! I love your topic, and it seems like the perfect time to be researching the role that gender plays in this particular field, as it seems like there has been more of a push for change in recent years. I’m impressed that you were able to put together understandable and interesting graphs from spoken interviews, especially since you mentioned that you did not include many yes or no questions. Did you find that the women you interviewed had very strong opinions regarding how much their gender affected their professional treatment?

Again, props to you for doing 38 interviews, that is incredible and you must have met so many interesting people.