Preliminary Results and Too Much Photoshop

Imaging and sectioning dozens of embryos from stages 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 has given me a good idea of the general expression pattern of this gene family, and the results are pretty interesting! With this, I have started constructing an epxression profile for the paper and started photophoppig all of the images into tables for a comprehensive look at all of the data. Yet another tedious process, photoshopping the images is rather time consuming. In order to abide by the ethical guidelines of scientific journals, only global changes can be made to image, i.e. adjusting brightness, contrast, hue, etc. Getting all of the images to a the same balanced levels that bring out signal and reduce background is rather laborious.

Meanwhile, I was also processing histology images. But before the sections could be imaged, they needed to be coverslipped. This process involved dissolving the tissue freezing medium in which the embryos was embedded before sectioning and equilizbrizing the section several minute washes before gluing a glass cover slip to the slide. Then the slide can be imaged under a microscope and the image can be photoshopped into the figure. Preliminary results from reviewing whole mount and histology images show that Tweety genes are very specifically localized to neural regions. Since I don’t quite have a great grasp on xenopus anatomy yet, it is pretty difficult to know exactly which neural structures are present at various stages of development, but when I get to actually writing the paper I will have mastered this material. Next step, writing the paper and finishing final edits!