Important Points on Modern Spain

Hello!

As I finish putting together my poster for the week of Undergraduate Summer Research, I wanted to share some of the critical quotes that really help frame m project. Feel free to stop by Blow 201 tomorrow, September 27, from 3:30-5 p.m. to talk to me about the project more in depth!

• Referring to the Inquisition: “A wild monster of such terrible mien that all of Europe trembles at the mere mention of its name.” –Samuel Usque, a Portuguese Jewish author writing in the 16th century
  • “I have the feeling that Jews are perhaps, the ghosts of Spain.”–Yitzhak Navon, the fifth President of Israel
  • “What the polls really show is that much of Spanish society is not in agreement with Israel’s policy toward Palestine, but that view then sometimes gets confused with anti-Semitism.” –José María Contreras, Sub-Director for Religious Affairs in the Spanish Justice Ministry

*Please note: I have included my source’s chosen spelling of “anti-Semitism” above, but the form modern scholars are adopting is generally “antisemitism,” for various political and cultural reasons.