Final Blog Entry

I certainly could have spent a few more months on the Big Island researching the i’iwi, but I was able to draw some conclusions from my research over the few brief weeks I was there. First, I created artificial mamane flowers that the i’iwi (and apapane and amakihi) were attracted to. Unfortunately, they were usually only attracted to the trees (and hence the flowers) when there were other natural flowers in the trees, and I began putting the flowers in the trees just as the mamane bloom was dying out. Therefore, more research must be conducted in order to determine whether factors such as sugar conconcentration affects the competitive nature fo the i’iwi. From my general studies on the i’iwi behaviors, I was able to determine that the i’iwi did display competitive behaviors via chasing, but they did not seem to have a significant impact on the other birds that were in the tree. Finally, my qualitative behvioral counts determined that the i’iwi did display chasing events, but that they weren’t successful at preventing other birds from using their nectar sources. In addition, those counts determined that the i’iwi significantly favored trees with many flowers over trees with moderate or few flowers. 

My time and research in Hawaii was an invaluable experience, which helped introduce me to field work, working with a government agency, and helped direct my course of study for the rest of my time in college.